Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yellow Water Lily

Water Lily Reflection
acrylic, 6" by 8"

During our recent trip to Algonquin Park I took a lot of reference pictures of waterlilies. Most were the commonly seen white ones that seem to cover large areas of just about every lake in the park. However, one small lake had a ring of yellow water lilies along the entire shore line.

Usually I'm attracted to flowers because of the color, but this particular flower and its reflection captured my interest because of its sculptural quality. The totally still water made for a crystal clear reflection, so the swooping lines of the petals were equally visible from two different angles.

I've been itching to paint it since we returned, it was a lot of fun, and I may revisit this one in a larger size somewhere in the future.

No comments: