Friday, October 12, 2007

Fall Colors

October Woods
acrylic, 8" by 10"

Rain Over the Blue Mountains
acrylic, 8" by 10"


The last few days have simply been too glorious to sit in the studio, so I've been taking my paints outside to do some plein air landscapes. While there isn't time to meticulously reproduce every detail of the scene , there is something about the immediacy of plein air painting, and the feeling of being part of the scene, that is a refreshing change from studio work. The fact that the light changes drastically within a few hours means that it's important to focus on the essentials of the painting first, and get the lighting right from the start. Being forced to think about the essentials first, instead of getting bogged down in the details, is always good discipline.


"October Woods" was started in our beech woods and finished in the studio - afterwards, I wished I had just left it as it was when I left the woods instead of fiddling with it. So when I painted "Rain over the Blue Mountains" yesterday - I made myself sign it before packing up and heading home. No more fiddling!


I have the use of the car again today, so I'm off along the side roads to see what I can find. Hopefully there'll be another painting to post tomorrow.

No comments: